Monday, May 3, 2010

Launch!

This month will be the launch of my Redemption Climb "campaign" for the Cayman Cancer Society. The first event is scheduled for May 12, at Jet Nightclub to be a Wig Out party. I have suffered a major set back as my telephone has gone missing this weekend. This will make contacting people quite difficult, however I put full power in facebook invitations; while socially networking in person to get people's interest going on about this event!

Hopefully my phone will turn up in the process!

Further more I have done more extensive reading about where I will be going, and what I will be doing. I have called about vaccinations, and determined that I will be going next week for them just before the launch party. EEK! SHOTS! (not the beverage kind either) Some of them take a few months to become effective, so that's why I'm planning to get ahead of the agenda.

Another odd, freaky thing that I've read about Tanzania is that they have a fly called the sleeping fly (tsetse fly). It will bite you, you won't really notice anything for a couple of weeks until you become frightfully tired and have death symptoms. AHH... Someone say pack a fly swatter!! (check)


Group pictured here... navy seals swim die hard cayman athletes (lol;)
The lack there of blogging has come to a halt, I will be regularly updating come following the first event. I have actively been participating in other events here and there. I participated in the sea swim with a marginal better time than I had anticipated with a goal of 30 min I finished in 19min. There is another one coming up this weekend I will be doing as well!



My jump rope has been put to good use. I jumped in the Batabanoo carnival this past weekend which lived true to last year, as one of the most spectacular experiences street dancing like a gypsy hooligan, like no other. I find that remaining active with other benefits will help me keep things in proper perspective that there is not just one cause in the world, but many. I find myself overly enthusiastic when it comes to supporting good causes, and positive movements towards a better future.

A dear friend to my family passed away last week on the very day of my grandmother's two year anniversary from passing! How eerie, right?! In speaking to my mom who has just over come something so oppressive, she was real jolted by the fact that her friend did not do the same. Although it was a completely different type of cancer, it's still the same feeling inside I suppose. Death, weakness, soul torture. The inevitability that all people, whom you have loved, will see you suffer the utmost amount of pain before you go. That is what is worth climbing for.

Reaching towards something you may not think you will survive, but sharing it w
ith others to show them that you can because it's possible- they have. In the end Chris has survived after putting up a wicked fight, she was a really strong woman. I knew her family well, I babysat for her two sons, Mitch and Ross, who are now just coming through high school and one in college. It fathoms me to think that they have grown so big already, but that they have so much life ahead of them that now their mom will see from heaven. I'm a firm believer that our loved one's survive within us. My grandmother, our dear friend Chris, every loved one that has ever touched any particular life for that matter now sustains an iron will towards living.

4 comments:

  1. Great to see your posts again. Keep up the good work in preperation for your climb. Wish I could be there to help you, but you KNOW you have my support!! I have a fact that is even more
    eerie than your's. The minister from my church
    passed one year later, on the same day as my wife. On the same day three years from my wife's passing, my good friend was gone. We went to a Green Bay Packer game a week before. I know how it feels. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you and your compassion for others. You truly have a beautiful heart and a determination to make the world a better place. I'm with you in spirit Sweetness. Charge on!

    ReplyDelete